Website STV Plc
STV is Scotland’s home of news, entertainment and drama, serving audiences with quality content on air, online and on demand. STV’s broadcast channel reaches 3 million viewers each month, while STV Player, the UK’s fastest-growing broadcaster streaming service, is now pre-installed in three quarters of the UK’s connected TV homes. Multi-genre production company STV Studios – one of the UK’s leading content businesses – has an impressive track-record of success across a wide range of broadcasters, with recent productions including Screw; Murder Island; Catchphrase; Antiques Road Trip; Yorkshire Auction House; My Family Farm Rescue and Landmark.
STV’s Central Technical Area consists of a small dynamic team of operators and engineers providing 24/7 television playout services across Central and Northern Scotland using a variety of broadcasting platforms.
The Broadcast Technology team currently have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Broadcast Engineer to join the Network Operations Centre (NOC). Reporting to the Broadcast Systems and Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for providing a high level of engineering and operational support across STV’s broadcast systems and digital platforms. You will also provide technical advice and expertise to the wider business and act as a mentor to junior team members.
The opportunity to work on special engineering projects will often arise, this work may or may not require coming off shift to work office hours for set periods for the duration of the project
- To support all broadcast and broadcast IT systems within the Central Technical area, reacting to system failures in an appropriate manner and prioritising response according to business criticality
- NOC operations to support vision circuits, satellite downlinks, IP connectivity and communications across Transmission playout, News, Regional Offices and our Online digital services
- To interpret and diagnose system issues reported from a range of sources including our Network Management System (NMS)
- To liaise with manufacturers and product specialists effectively to minimise service disruption
- Maintain system documentation and drawings and write up procedures for operational staff
- Share information with the wider team and provide a mentoring role
- Provide reporting on major issues to the Broadcast Systems and Engineering manager
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Demonstrable track record of working in broadcast television engineering and operations
- Ability to work under pressure with a calm and diagnostic approach
- Good interpersonal, teamwork and communication skills
- Good understanding of IP networks including CCNA or similar qualification.
- Solid understanding of Serial Digital Interface (SDI) in a high-definition broadcast environment
- Operational experience of satellite up/downlinks
- Appreciation of Digital Production Partnership (DPP) standards and checks
- A keen desire to learn new skills and technologies
- Qualified to degree level or equivalent in an engineering discipline is desirable
- MSOffice, Visio, AutoCAD desirable
- Experience of using file-based operational environments – encoding, transport and storage is desirable
- Telestream Vantage and Pipeline experience advantageous
Candidates must be willing to work a variety of shifts to support our 24-hour operation including some nightshift working.
There are plenty of reasons why it’s great to work at STV, here are just a few of the perks for you;
- 25 days paid annual leave and 9 public holidays per annum, with the option to buy more through our Holiday Extras scheme
- An extra day’s holiday on your birthday
- Healthcare cash plan providing Company contributions towards dental, optical, wellbeing or other healthcare costs
- Company pension contribution
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket travel loan
- On-site occupational health service
- Flexible benefits portal providing a range of retail and gym discounts
If you have a demonstrable track record of delivery in a related role, we would love to hear from you.
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com by 18 October 2022.
STV is committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce and to equality of opportunity for all. We encourage applications from candidates currently under-represented in our industry, so we are keen to hear from people from ethnically diverse backgrounds, disabled and/or neuro diverse people and those from a lower socio-economic background. As a Disability Confident employer, we are committed to offering an interview to disabled candidates who meet the eligibility criteria for the role.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org