We believe in better. And we make it happen.
Better content. Better products. And better careers.
Working in Tech, Product or Data at Sky is about building the next and the new. From broadband to broadcast, streaming to mobile, SkyQ to Sky Glass, we never stand still. We optimise and innovate.
We turn big ideas into the products, content and services millions of people love.
And we do it all right here at Sky.
What you’ll do
Do you have a keen interest in sports and news? Know your NFL from your SPFL? Then this could be the role for you! Here at Sky, we are looking for sharp Live Subtitlers who will be working on a wide range of sports and news from around the globe, including Formula 1 and Premier League football.
- Produce and deliver subtitles for live programming across all Sky live channels.
- Using Dragon Naturally Speaking voice recognition software, use respeaking techniques to generate accurate live subtitles for instant transmission of a standard to be aligned with Ofcom guidelines and Sky SLAs.
- Repurpose live captions for repeat showings. Edit text retrieved from the newsroom computer systems into pre-prepared one or two-line subtitles
- Collaborate closely with the appropriate newsroom editor and/or technical staff to obtain relevant information and exhibit the communication skills needed to liaise with colleagues and newsroom contacts.
- Log and report all failures in transmission to the appropriate person or people and/or complete the fault log, working closely with Technical Services department on site
- Exhibit quick reactions and responses to transmission operational problems and bring up to line management/technical support.
- Join a shift-based working pattern. 12-hour shifts include early starts from 05:30, late finishes until 02:00, and night shifts
What you’ll bring
- A curiosity and in-depth knowledge of sport and current affairs
- With training, gain the ability to use subtitling software and to be able to absorb new versions or systems as introduced
- Sufficient knowledge and proven experience with other software such as MS Word and Excel
- Ability to adapt to different subtitling styles to meet changing needs of the business and, where vital, to improve output
- Familiarity with programme compliance issues
- Excellent English grammar, spelling and attention to detail is crucial for this position
Content technology and innovation
Our Content Technology and Innovation team delivers high-quality content to homes, customer devices, businesses and commercial partners across our European markets. With over 2500 colleagues from around the world, we combine our strategic insights, engineering know-how and operational excellence to use the most innovative technologies to create and distribute our award-winning content.
There’s one thing people can’t stop talking about when it comes to #LifeAtSky: the perks. Here’s a taster:
- Free access to NOW, for streaming all your favourite shows
- A generous pension package
- Private healthcare
- Discounted mobile and broadband
- Access a wide range of exclusive Sky VIP rewards and experiences
Inclusion & how you’ll work
We are a Disability Confident Employer, and welcome and encourage applications from all candidates. We will look to ensure a fair and consistent experience for all, and will make reasonable adjustments to support you where appropriate. Please flag any adjustments you need to your recruiter as early as you can.
We’ve embraced hybrid working and split our time between unique office spaces and the convenience of working from home. You’ll find out more about what hybrid working looks like for your role later on in the recruitment process.
Your office space
This role will be a mix of working on site in Chilworth and working from home.
We’d love to hear from you
Inventive, forward-thinking minds come together to work in Tech, Product and Data at Sky. It’s a place where you can explore what if, how far, and what next.
But better doesn’t stop at what we do, it’s how we do it, too. We embrace each other’s differences. We support our community and contribute to a sustainable future for our business and the planet.
If you believe in better, we’ll back you all the way.
Just so you know: if your application is successful, we’ll ask you to complete a criminal record check. And depending on the role you have applied for and the nature of any convictions you may have, we might have to withdraw the offer.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org